Believe it or not this recipe and photo was 100% inspired by a food course I watched online recently. I saw the photographer and stylist make this and just had to recreate my own version. I was so inspired by the way the stylist placed the noodles, and the simplicity of the dish just spoke to me! So here we are and here I am sharing my take on this simple noodle bowl! And it cam at the perfect time, here is why..
I was up all night with 2 of my kids with tummy issues. I’ll spare you the horrific details but lets just say I have a LOT of laundry to do. So I was sooo greatful I had plans to make this soup already today. The ginger and lemongrass are perfect to settle a sore tummy and the rice noodles are just what they needed.
But the best part of this dish, and the reason it makes it such a perfect soup after a night like min is the homemade veggie broth. I love using my own broth because first and foremost it is so EASY and CHEAP to make. You can see how easy here. But mainly because a good broth will MAKE your noodle bowl. Next make sure you have a good noodle to add in and then your toppings can be tailored to your likes (or tummy needs..lol).
Focusing on those 2 main ingredients (broth and noodles) simplifies this dish and makes it versatile and quick to make. Add grated ginger and lemongrass for a grounding bowl or extra comfort or keep it light and fresh with lime and fresh herbs. You can also add whatever protein you like, baked tofu or tempeh or just some steamed edamame beans. You get to decide and that is what makes this dish so easy!
OK on to the recipe!
Oh and if you make this recipe I would love your thought in the comments! Oh and you can find me on instagram @at.my.table!
Soothing Noodle Bowl
A grounding meal perfect for lazy nights or when you are feeling under the weather.
- 2 tbs minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbs minced lemongrass
- 2 small slices of red chili pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 tbs sesame oil (or EVOO)
- 5 cups of veggie broth
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tbs white miso paste (if you dont have this try using soy cause)
- Rice noodles Optional toppings
- Oyster mushrooms
- Spring peas
- Fresh Cilantro
- Toasted sesame seeds
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat add the sesame oil, ginger, and garlic. Satue a few minutes until fragrant then add in the lemongrass and chili. Continue to cook for another minute then add in the veggie broth and miso paste and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate large pot boil water for the rice noodles and cook per package ingredients. Once cooked drain the noodles and rinse them in warm water. This will prevent them from sticking.
- You can then cook the extra toppings you decide on. for this dish I cooked the mushrooms in a seperate pan with some vegan butter and soy sauce or you can just cook them in the broth. The spring peas can be eaten raw or also cooked in with the broth.
- Once noodles are cooked add a serving to a bowl, ladle the broth and add the mushrooms, spring peas, fresh cilantro and top it all with the seeds and fresh lime juice.