I recently rediscovered this recipe and fell in love with it all over again. I forgot how easy and flavorful it was. I use to make this all the time and it works great with tofu. If you have the time to marinate the tofu in the orange sesame dressing overnight (or even for a few hours) it will come out super rich in flavour and texture. That being said I usually forget and most of the time I just skip that part. It still comes out super glossy and delicious so no worries if your strapped for time.
This recipe calls for honey for this recipe but if you prefer you could try subbing in maple syrup instead. It may not glaze as nice but the flavor is still there. Just play around with the amount you use because the sweetness can vary depending on the grade of syrup you use (amber versus dark for instance). If you choose this option let me know how it went!! Would love to hear your thoughts.
This recipe also uses fresh oranges which adds just the right amount of tart which is balanced out by the sweet honey. The addition of fresh ginger and garlic help make this a bold, stand alone sauce. You could use this sauce with just about anything!
The best part about this sauce is that it reduces really well, becoming a glossy glaze coating the tofu into a sticky flavour bomb. Speaking of tofu I use pressed tofu for this recipe but if you don’t have access to this just use firm or extra firm tofu and gently squeeze out any water using your hands. You don’t have to go all crazy trying to get it all but if you spend a few minutes doing this it will help the sauce absorb into the tofu. Which is why marinating it overnight takes this recipe up a notch.
Now to be honest becuase of the rich notes in this sauce, from the fresh ginger and garlic,my younger boys find he flavours a bit to intense. You could dial down the amount of ginger and garlic you use but my older son just started enjoying these richer flavour. And it is an adult favourite, always a win when I serve it to our guest or family.
Ok on to the recipe!
Enjoy! And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you make this recipe (@at.my.table)! I love to see your creations.
Lick your fingers Orange sesame Tofu
This sticky glazed tofu backs a bold flavour.
- 1 block of pressed tofu, cubed
- 1/3 cup of coconut aminos
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs fresh orange juice
- 1 tbs toasted sesame oil (regular will do as well)
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tbs sesame seeds, toasted*
- Using your hands gently press out any extra moisture from the tofu. Then cut into cubes or strips.
- In a medium bowl place all remaining ingredients, except for the sesame seeds.
- Place the cubed tofu in the sauce bow and mix until tofu is well coated. IF you have the time marinate overnight or for a few hours.
- Place the tofu and sauce on a heated sauce pan. Cook over medium heat for roughly 20-30 minutes. The sauce will begin to thicken and reduce and you will be left with a well glazed tofu.
- Remove from heat and toss in the toasted sesame seeds. Mix and then serve over steamed rice or enjoy as is.
* To toast the sesame seeds just place on a baking pan and bake for 5-8 minutes at 350. Make sure to move them around to make sure they don’t burn.