This recipe originated as my husbands recipe back when we first met. Over the years we it has developed and matured into a super easy, vegan, protein rich sauce that is perfect over noodles or rice. The sauce is made from fresh tomatoes and lentils (both of which can be made ahead of time). However, this sauce comes together in about 20 minutes which is perfect for weeknights or when your pressed for time. With three kids at my feet its meals like this that are a weekly staple. And because its loaded with fresh tomatoes and packed with lots of lentils I can get behind the pasta train! Loaded with nutrients and packed with protein it is perfect for the adults and kids in our household!
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you make this recipe (@at.my.table)! I love to see your creations.
A easy protein rich meal that is kid approved and easy to make!.
- ~2 cups of cooked lentils (or 1 can)
- 1 tbs EVOO
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minched
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbs Italian seasoning mix
- 1 tbs dry oregano
- 2 tbs coconut sugar (adjust to your preference)
- 5 medium tomatoes (roma, vine or heirloom)
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat saute the onions in the EVOO (for an oilfree version use water). Once soft then add in the garlic, sugar and spices and cook until fragrant (2 min).
- Add in the fresh and canned tomatoes and cook for roughly 5 minutes. Reduce heat and let the sauce simmer for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Add in cooked lentils and continue to cook until lentils are warm and nicely incorporated into the sauce (~5 minutes).
- Serve over your favorite pasta, we love using either rice pasta or for an extra protein rich meal we use a red lentil fusili (like pictured above)