For anyone that knows me or has been watching my insta-stories for a while you know I love me a big bowl of noodle soup. Especially over this cold and gray winter. It is like sunshine and comfort all wrapped up into a bowl. And who doesn’t love slurring up the endlessly long noodles, especially if you use vermicelli noodles! So last night I decided to make a big batch of soup after making a huge batch of veggie broth using my leftover kitchen scraps. I also found a box of instant miso soup in my pantry so I wanted to use up the packets… and so this recipe was born 😉
Unfortunately, the packets I had hidden away are single servings, but since buying those a while ago I have switched to miso paste. It is way more affordable and also less wastefull. You can sub the miso powder for miso paste in this recipe but may also have to add in some more slat and spices to compensate. I suggest garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
And make sure to take the time (if you have it) to make the crispy tofu to go on top! Add the most perfect crunch and texture to this soup! It is a very easy step that can be done ahead of time or while you waiting for the broth to simmer. If you don’t have the flours I recommend don’t worry, you can use pretty much any flour for this to work. Other then tapioca and cassava, my other go to’s are chickpea, rice and buchwheat flour. OR if you are not gluten free regular flour or bread crumbs work great!
Ok on to the recipe! Because that is why you are here anyways right..
Enjoy! And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you make this recipe (@at.my.table)! I love to see your creations.
Easy Family Noodle Bowl
Comforting, satisfying and perfect for cold winter nights or rainy summer days.
- For the Tofu
- 1 block of firm tofu, cubed
- 1 tbs cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- 3 tbs tapioca flour*
- 2 tbs cassava flour*
- Or you can use whatever flour you have on hand.
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups veggie broth
- 4 cups water
- juice from 2 limes
- 1 package of your fav noodles. I love sweet potato vermicelli (like this, or this)
- 2 packets of instant miso soup mix or 2 tbs of miso paste
- 1 tsp ginger powder (use more to taste, we have picky kids here)
- 1 tbs cumin powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 carrot, sliced thing
- 3 asparagus, sliced
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, sliced
- 3 bok choy, quartered
For the Soup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all the ingredients to make the tofu into a bowl and mix until tofu is well coated. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping half way.
- In a large pot saute the onions until soft in 2 tbs of veggie broth. Add in the garlic, spices and miso paste once onions are soft and cook for 1 minute. Then add in all the liquid and half the lime juice.
- After soup had boiled reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Then add in the noodles. Continue to cook until noodles are almost done and then add in all the veggies and the rest of the lime juice. Turn the heat off and let the veggies just wilt and soften for roughly 5 minutes.
- Serve with some crispy tofu in a large bowl and enjoy!