Never did I ever think I would be eating crepes after going gluten free, much less vegan. But here it is, a vegan gluten free crepe. And it makes me happy that it is made with buckwheat flour. This flour literally saved us after my son got sick and we went gluten free. It was the only flour he could tolerate and it was a staple here. But I never thought to make crepes! I think I was intimidated by the idea of making it. I always think of crepes as this fancy thing made in a nice restaurant by a crepe specialist, hahah But it is SO EASY.. like 3 ingredients easy, with some extra for flavour! So don’t scroll past this one guys.. it is a game changer.
AND it is good enough to savory and sweet! I topped these one with a berry compote but you can stuff it with mushrooms and cashew cheese or top it with some sauteed veggies. The options are endless as I often say! I am planning on making a savory version soon so what is a topping you would love to see? Comment down below, would love some suggestions.
Ok on to the recipe! Because that is why you are here anyways right..
Enjoy! And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you make this recipe (@at.my.table)! I love to see your creations.
The easiest vegan crepes
Easy enough that you can make on a weekday, your welcome ;).
- Berry compote
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tbs water
- 2 cups of buckwheat flour
- 2 1/4 cups of plant based milk, hazelnut is the best!
- 2 tbs chia seeds
- 1 tsp cardamom
- a few drops of orange extract or some orange zest
For the Crepes
- In a blender add in all the ingredients and blend for a minute. Let the batter sit for another minute while the pan heats up.
- Meanwhile add the frozen berries, syrup and water to a small pan and let it simmer until the berries are soft.
- On a skillet, heat up a bit of coconut oil or vegan butter. Over medium heat add 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan and swirl around to coat the pan. You can use a spatula or crepe spatula to help.
- Cook for a few minutes then flip and cook for another minute until golden.
- Plate and top with berries. Drizzle with maple syrup or your peanut butter and don’t forget to enjoy!