My husband makes a killer pasta sauce guys! He doesn’t cook often but when he does he usually makes pasta but it is always A-MAZING, he aslo makes a pretty mean sandwich!
He normally loves to add tons of spices and flavours and usually fancies up every meal he makes. So he surprised me with this one by making a simple plain tomato sauce version (no lentils, or beans like usual). His words were ” I want to make something that the kids will love and just eat!”. And if you have kids you know that sometimes tons of flavour/ spices doesn’t always sit well with their immature taste buds!
So for this version he keep the spices traditional and just added some vegan cheese. If you follow me over on instagram you know I am obsessed with culcherd cheese. Like I put that s**t on everything, lol! Not sponsored but I love promoting brands that produce clean delicious products and have a message that resonates with me. BUT, since they are a smaller brand they are not yet found in many grocery stores. So in case you don’t have a good cheese alternative you can just go ahead and sub in almond or cashew milk (or really any nut milk you love with the exception of coconut) and a few extra spoonfuls of the nutritional yeast (which is found at many grocery stores or bulk barns)
Anyways to my surprise Avery, who hates pasta (who knew a 4 year old could hate pasta) didn’t complain once. So this will be another Josh recipe that we will add to our family recipe box! And despite it being a fairly uncomplicated recipe I figured I’d throw it up here. Not only is it delicious, but you can never have enough easy uncomplicated meal right!
Oh and if you want HEARTY pasta sauce, be sure to check out my easy lentil bolognese recipes (here)
Ok, so with that I will get on to the recipe, which is why your here anyways right!
Oh and if you make this recipe I would love your thought in the comments! Or can find me on instagram and let me know @at.my.table!
A twist on a classic. The addition of a cashew based cheese makes this tomato sauce oh so rich and creamy!!.
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minched
- 3 tbs nutritional yeast
- 2 tbs Italian seasoning mix
- 2 tbs coconut sugar (adjust to your preference)
- 3 medium tomatoes (roma, vine or heirloom)
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 of @culcherd cheese (~3 tbs) or alternatively you can use 1 cup of almond milk and 2 tbs nutritional yeast.
- In a medium saucepan saute the onions in the EVOO until soft then add in the garlic, sugar, spices and mushrooms and cook until fragrant.
- Add in the fresh and canned tomatoes and the cheese and cook for roughly 5 minutes. Reduce heat and let the sauce simmer for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite pasta! Simple yet delicious!