Never thought I would be writing up this recipe. When I first heard about tofu scramble it actually sounded kinda gross to me (not sure why). But I just didn’t understand how the texture would work. But then I decided to stop limiting myself and try it (mostly because you guys asked for more breakfast ideas). And I was so surprised!
For this recipe I used soft tofu and was super happy with the texture. I just made sure to gently squeeze out as much water that I could from the tofu beforehand (and I’m talking like 5 minutes). I didn’t bother to freeze and thaw or press it, so it’s super quick and easy! The entire recipe came together very quickly and depending on how many veggies you use (if at all) you could make this a super quick meal. I actually made this on a weekday!
Ok on to the recipe, because that’s why your hear anyways!
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you make this recipe (@at.my.table)! I love to see your creations.
Anyday Tofu Scramble
Yes Tofu scramble, because its delciious. An easy recipe that's perfect for anyday meal.
- 1 block of soft tofu
- 1 white onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- (optional) 1/2 cup sliced mushroom
- 1 tbs vegan butter or sesame oil
- ~ 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste (optional veggies, diced tomatoes, spinach, red onions, green olives)
- Before you prep the veggies gently squeeze out any water from the tofu. You can press it lightly with your hands first and then wrap it in a tea towel and let it sit while you prep.
- In a medium pan saute the onions in the vegan butter or oil (you can use water here but may miss out of the flavour). When soft add in the garlic and spices. Cook for a minute or two.
- Remove tofu from towel and using your hands crumble it into the pan. Add in salt and pepper and gently stir to incorporate the tofu with the spices and break up any big pieces. Try not to over stir the tofu.
- IF the tofu starts to stick add in a bit of the water to deglaze the bottom of the pan and help the tofu loosen up.
- Cook until most of the water has evaporated and the tofu is dry and browned.
Don’t forget to enjoy!