OH guys, this vegan sauce is such a perfect marriage between a fresh rich pesto sauce and a classic marinara. A perfect sauce to toss with some fresh spaghetti! The fresh herbs, juicy tomatoes and rich cashew will satisfy all your taste buds. This sauce is build around my husbands marinara sauce which has been a recipe we have developed over the years. That man knows his pasta sauces and no matter how hard I try he always outdoes my efforts with his version! But I like to think that this pesto marinara gives my sauce a bit of an edge over his classic one, lol!
A little word on the addition of sugar in this recipe. Personally when I make a sauce using tomatoes I always add a bit of sugar. This is because tomatoes have a tartness to them when you cook them down. They do eventually get sweet as you cook them down but I find the sauce to lack a deeper flavour if you don’t balance out their tartness with something sweet. You can always experiment with adding date paste, sugar cane juice, or a reduced balsamic vinegar if you are set against having any forms of processed sugar. I used raw coconut sugar here and it is a small enough amount that I am not concerned about eating it.
Oh and when making the pesto sauce you can double the recipe and freeze any leftover sauce you wont use right away. However this pesto sauce is also perfect as a sandwich spread or as a stand alone sauce for pasta or rice bowls. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
If you make this recipe please share it with me over on instagram (@at.my.table) as I love seeing your creations and sharing your versions! Don’t be shy to connect with me over there as I LOVE finding inspiration in all of you! If you have a recipe you would love me to veganize or make a gluten free version let me know in the comments!
This vegan sauce is the perfect marriage between a fresh rich pesto sauce and a classic marinara.
- For the Pesto Sauce
- 2 cups of fresh basil
- 2 tbs Nutritional yeast
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 4 tbs water (more if needed)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt to taste
- For the Marinara Sauce
- 1 package of GoGo Quinoa spaghetti
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 large tomatoes (beefsteak or roma are best), cut small
- 2 tbs coconut sugar
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients for the pesto sauce into a blender and blend until mixed but not totally smooth.. Add more water if you need.
- Reserve 1 cup of the pesto sauce and save the rest to use as a sandwich or cracker spread.
- In the meantime heat a medium saucepan with some olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic to olive oil and sautee until translucent (for an oil free version skip the oil and add in 2 tbs of water).
- Add in all the tomatoes and remaining spices and cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
- Add in 1 cup of the pesto sauce, remove bay leaves and cook for another 10 minutes. At this point also go ahead and bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add GoGO Quinoa spaghetti to the boiling water and cook until pasta is to your desired softness.
- Strain spaghetti and add toss it with the sauce. Garnish with some fresh basil or your favourite vegan parmesan
Enjoy! And don’t forget to tag me if you make this recipe (@at.my.table)! I love to see your creations.