All you need to make this creamy vegan alfredo sauce recipe is 15 minutes, a handful of simple ingredients and a pan! No blenders, hard to find vegan cheeses or soaked cashews. This is a one pot, nut-free, low-fat sauce for an easy vegan recipe with gnocchi that is sure to become a family favourite.
Oh and if you are looking for more nut-free gnocchi recipes check out this nut-free pepita pesto gnocchi recipe!Jump to Recipe
A quick recipe for vegan alfredo sauce
If you follow me over on instagram you would have seen that this recipe was kind of an accidental masterpiece, lol. I was super tired from mom-ing and late to start dinner. With 4 cranky boys I was kinda freaking out a little (yes I am counting my husband in there because he had just finished a crazy workout and was hangry). You know that moment when you realize you passed your dinner window and the temper tantrum pot is slowly boiling. I was there!
What I usually do in this situation is take a deep breath, then run out the door. No, wait that’s what I want to do 😉 Seriously I take a second and look in my pantry. I always find some inspiration there. I found some gluten-free gnocchi and decided to go with that. My middle child is currently on a tomato sauce strike, because why should life be easy right! So Cream sauce it was.
My usual recipe for vegan alfredo sauce requires some vegan cheese which of course I had none of! Can you guess what kind of day I was having! But before throwing in the towel to order sushi I decided to try and make a super easy, simple vegan alfredo sauce that would be perfect for situations like this.
So another easy family recipe was born!
A nut-free, low-fat vegan alfredo sauce recipe
There are actually so many dairy-free cream sauces and vegan alfredo sauce recipes out there, but most of them require you to soak cashews or add in some weird cheese (guilty of that myself). But I needed a busy parent type of recipe. One that had minimal steps and no fancy add ins.
Now to be fair things like tapioca and nutritional yeast are a common pantry item around here. I assume that most plant based families have these things in their pantry. If you don’t then I highly suggest purchasing some because they are staple ingredients for a plant based diet.
To make this recipe nut-free I went with oat milk. But feel free to use any plant-based milk you have on hand. Just don’t use coconut milk as it will be too sweet for an alfredo sauce. If you are new to oat milk I highly recommend it. It is the perfect vegan beginner milk. It won’t curdle if you heat it quickly and has a subtle flavour. Plus it froths up super well for all my latte lovers. Using oat milk also makes this a low-fat alfredo sauce as oats are very low in fat!
How to make this gnocchi recipe with creamy alfredo sauce
To make this easy alfredo sauce all you need is a pot some veggies and 15 minutes. A simple vegan gnocchi recipe perfect for busy parents! the chickpeas and olives are from a can, and the broccoli can be roughly chopped so no crazy knife skills are needed!
- Start by cooking the canned chickpeas, broccoli, black olives and mushrooms in a large pot. I added a touch of oilve oil, salt and lemon juice to cook the veggies but feel free to switch the oil for water.
- Once the veggies are cooked add in the oat milk, spices, soy sauce and maple syrup. Let that cook down for a few minutes.
- Then add in some tapioca flour mixed with water to thicken the sauce. This step can be skipped if you want but the sauce will be thinner and not as creamy.
- Add in your cooked gnocchi or favourite past and viola, dinner is served in the time it takes to cook your pasta!
And now on to the recipe! I hope you enjoy this easy vegan gnocchi recipe. For more weeknight family recipes be sure to check these out:
- Nut free pesto gnocchi recipe
- High protein marinara meatballs
- Quick 1-pot bean chili recipe
- 1-pot Moroccan stew
- 5-minute creamy vegan Caeser salad dressing
If you make this recipe be sure to tag me (@at.my.table) with your re-creations so I can share it over on Instagram!
Until next time, tchau
15-minute Vegan Alfredo Sauce Recipe (Nut-free, Low-fat)Course: lunch, DinnerCuisine: vegetarian, vegan, gluten freeDifficulty: Easy
All you need is 15 minutes and 1 pot to make this creamy vegan alfredo sauce recipe. A creamy, nut free, low fat, healthy vegan family recipe. Smoother it over sauteed veggies and gluten free gnocchi for a winning kid approved dish.
2 packages of gluten free gnocchi
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 head broccolini, roughly chopped
1 cup mushrooms
*I used baby king oyster and enochi mushrooms and added them whole but feel free to add whatever mushroom you have on hand. Just roughly chop them.
1/2 cup sliced olives, rinsed
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil (or use water to make this oil-free)
1/4 cup water
2 cups oat milk
juice from 1 lemon
2 tbs italian seasoning
1 tbs nutritional yeast
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
Tapioca mixture: 1 tbs tapioca flour mixed into 3 tbs water
- Set a large pot of water to boil. Then in another large pot over medium heat saute the chickpeas in some olive oil (or water). Then add in the rest of the veggies, water, salt and half the lemon juice. Cover and cook until the veggies start to soften. About 5 minutes.
- Then add in the remaining ingredients (except the tapioca mixture). Stir and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Then add in the tapioca mixture, reduce the heat and simmer for another 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Meanwhile, add the gnocchi to the boiling water. Once it floats to the top use a slotted spoon to pick them up and add them to the alfredo saucepot. Once they are all in, mix well and remove from the heat.
- Viola, ready to enjoy. This pasta will keep in the fridge for 3 days if there are any leftovers 😉