Epic Nutella Overnight Oats: a simple delicious, satisfying recipe that brings together the rich, chocolatey flavor of Nutella with the wholesome goodness of oats. Nutella Oatmeal is perfect for those needing a no-fuss breakfast or a fun snack that's both nutritious and satisfying.
This Nutella Overnight Oats recipe offers a delicious escape from the ordinary breakfast routine. This recipe combines the wholesome goodness of oats with the irresistible taste of Nutella.
Nutella oatmeal is not only easy to make but also great to meal prep for your busy week ahead! We also love to make these for road trips or to bring on our yearly camping trip for an easy no-cook breakfast recipe.
Let me show you how simple it is to prepare, and be sure to check out my tips for achieving the best texture.
For more easy overnight oats recipes and more to do with oats, be sure to check out our other easy recipes:
✔️Why You'll Love This Easy Breakfast
In our family, Nutella Overnight Oats is a regular favorite, both as a quick breakfast option and a tasty after-school snack for my kids. Here are four simple reasons why this recipe is a hit:
- Easy and Quick: With its no-cook nature and simple steps, it's an easy recipe that's perfect for busy mornings or when you need a quick, nutritious snack
- Healthy Ingredients: With ingredients like chia seeds, oats, and oat milk, it's a nutritious choice that doesn't compromise taste.
- Versatility: The recipe is gluten-free and easily adaptable to various dietary needs and preferences!
- Convenient: Nutella oatmeal is a great grab-and-go breakfast recipe and perfect to take on road trips, camping trips, or work days!
- Kid-Friendly: Making this recipe is not only a fun and easy cooking activity for kids, but it is also a kid-favorite amongst our boys.
⏲️ Meal-Prep Tips
Here's how to make this Nutella oatmeal recipe work for your hectic schedule:
- Batch Preparation: Prepare multiple servings at once and store them in mason jars. This way, you have grab-and-go breakfast ready for the next 3-4 days!
- Set Overnight: Assemble the oats the night before. That way you don't have to wait 2 hours to eat your breakfast.
- Ready-to-Use Ingredients: This recipe doesn't have much prep! So it's a great breakfast recipe to meal prep even when you're short on time.
- Quick Mix Technique: We suggest using a large bowl to mix all the base ingredients at once before distributing them into individual jars. It's quicker than preparing each serving separately.
- Choose Simple Toppings: Choose toppings that don't require much prep, like fresh strawberries or bananas, which can be quickly sliced in the morning or the night before.
💡Chef Tips: Get the Perfect Texture
To ensure your Overnight Oats with Nutella turn out perfectly every time, here are some tried-and-true tips for a delicious breakfast that hits the spot:
- Oats Selection: Opt for gluten-free rolled oats or old-fashioned oats for the best texture. They absorb the liquid well and don't get too mushy, unlike quick-cooking oats.
- Liquid Ratio: Maintain a 1:1 ratio of oats to liquid (like oat milk or any plant-based milk). This is key to achieving that creamy texture without being too thick or runny.
- Add Chia Seeds: A tablespoon of chia seeds not only adds healthy fats but also helps thicken the mixture to the right consistency.
- Wait to add in the Maple Syrup: Because the sweetness levels vary among these Nutella versions, we advise tasting the Nutella-oat mixture before adding maple syrup.
- Balance the Nutella: If you are adding Nutella as a topping just be aware that too much can overpower the oats. Find your sweet spot!
- Overnight Rest: Let the oats sit in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours, preferably overnight. This allows the flavors to meld and the oats to soften to the perfect texture.
Our Nutella Overnight Oats is made using simple ingredients to help cater to your busy mornings. Here is all you need for this epic oat recipe:
If you are missing any of these ingredients check out the substitution section below.
- Quick Cooking Oats: I prefer to use rolled oats to get that perfect creamy texture. But you can use rolled oats as well. Make sure to pick gluten-free oats and check the label to ensure it is celiac-safe.
- Chia Seeds: A tiny powerhouse of healthy fats, these seeds are essential for thickening and adding nutritional value.
- Oat Milk (or any plant-based milk): I prefer oat milk for its mild flavor, but any plant-based milk works if you need a dairy-free, easy breakfast.
- Nutella: I prefer to use store-bought Nutella for this recipe. If you want to use a vegan version I suggest you make your own to ensure it is creamy and not too thick.
- If you need a homemade nutella recipe check out this vegan nutella recipe by Ela Vegan.
- Vanilla Extract: Just a hint to enhance all the flavors.
- Pinch of Salt: It's surprising how a pinch of salt can balance and intensify the flavors.
- Pure Maple Syrup: If using store-bought Nutella you may want to eliminate this ingredient. You can easily add in the maple syrup while serving to prevent it from being overly sweet.
- Optional Toppings: Sliced Bananas, Chopped Hazelnuts, Extra Dollop of Nutella, or fresh strawberries, or bananas.
For full quantities, see the recipe card.
Let's dive into the easy steps to create this delightful, healthy breakfast, perfect for those busy mornings:
1: Mixing the Base: Into a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the gluten-free rolled oats, chia seeds, oat milk, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Then mix well to ensure all of the oats are evenly coated. You can taste the oatmeal here and decide if you want to add in any maple syrup.
2: Let It Set: Cover the Nutella oatmeal bowl and let it rest in the fridge overnight or for a minimum of 2 hours.
Pro Notes: You can also let the overnight oats mixture set in individual mason jars if you prefer. Just divide the batter into 4 jars, seal it, and place it into the fridge.
3: Creating Layers: Into a mason jar or sealable container add a dollop of Nutella to the bottom. Then layer in your creamy Nutella oatmeal mixture stopping 1 inch before the top.
4: Assemble and Serve: In the morning give it a good stir, and if it's too thick, add a bit more oat milk. This is where you adjust the consistency to your liking, making it perfect for you. Top with sliced bananas, chopped hazelnuts, or an extra spoonful of Nutella.
🍪Substitutions & Leftover ideas
In the spirit of using what we have, it's perfectly fine if you're missing an ingredient or two. This section is here to offer alternatives for making our Nutella overnight oats even if you are missing an ingredient or two:
- Oats: If you don't have gluten-free rolled oats, feel free to use old fashioned oats. You can also use instant or quick oats but the texture will be slightly creamier and thicker. If you want to use steel cut oats, you will have to pre-cook them first.
- If you have celiac disease be sure only to buy certified gluten-free oats. Many individuals with celiac will still react to gluten-free oats so be sure to monitor yourself!
- Nutella: Any chocolate hazelnut spread will do, I often use a vegan version. Alternatively, you can use hazelnut butter mixed with a bit of cocoa powder or peanut butter is also delicious with overnight oats.
- Milk: Any plant-based milk works here. If oat milk isn't available, almond milk or soy milk are excellent choices. Just keep an eye on the sweetness levels.
- Sweeteners: Instead of maple syrup, you can use honey or agave syrup. For a low-sugar version, consider reducing the sweetener or omitting it altogether.
- Chia Seeds: If chia seeds are not available, ground flaxseeds can be used as a substitute. This recipe will also work if you omit this ingredient, although it may be more watery.
Got leftover ingredients or want to adjust our Nutella oatmeal recipe to your family's needs? Here are some quick ideas:
- Baked Oat Squares: If you have leftover rolled oats you can make a batch of our famous one-bowl baked oat squares! They are always a favorite at our house!
- Oatmeal Recipe Remix: Transform leftover overnight oats into warm Nutella oatmeal. Just heat them with a little extra milk, and enjoy a warm, comforting meal.
- Nutella Toast: Use any leftover homemade Nutella on gluten-free toast for a quick, delicious breakfast or snack.
- Smoothies: Blend leftover oats with some fruits and additional milk to create a nutritious, filling smoothie.
Proper storage is key to enjoying your delicious Nutella Overnight Oats at their best.
Fridge: Store the oats in an airtight container or mason jar in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh and delicious for 2-3 days. This makes them perfect for meal prep and easy breakfasts on busy mornings.
Rewarming: If you prefer your oats warm, simply heat them in the microwave for a short period. Stir well to ensure even heating.
Be sure to read the chef tips section above. Achieving the perfect texture in your overnight oats with Nutella is all about the oats-to-liquid ratio. Generally, a 1:1 ratio works well, especially with rolled oats. If your oats are too thick, add a bit more liquid; if too runny, reduce the liquid slightly next time.
Nutella oatmeal can sometimes turn out too sweet, especially if additional sweeteners are used. Taste the mixture before adding any extra sweeteners like maple syrup, and adjust according to your preference.
Overnight oats are traditionally eaten cold, but if you prefer them warm, you can gently heat them in the microwave. I love eating them this way, just be sure to stir well for even heating.
For dietary restrictions, you can use certified gluten-free oats, various types of plant-based milk, or homemade or vegan Nutella alternatives.
🥣Make This Next
Loved out Nutella Oatmeal and looking for more gluten-free breakfast recipes?
Epic Nutella Overnight Oats (Vegan Option)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups oat milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoon Nutella
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup adjust to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the gluten-free rolled oats, chia seeds, oat milk, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Stir well to ensure everything is fully combined and the oats are evenly coated. Then add in your maple syrup (if using) and stir. * I recommend tasting the batter before adding the maple syrup as different Nutella brands vary in their sweetness levels.
- Then into 4 mason jars or small bowls divide your Nutella oatmeal mixture between them. Top with a dollop of Nutella.
- Cover the jars or bowls and place them in the refrigerator overnight (or for a minimum of 2-3 hours. This allows the oats to absorb the flavors and soften, resulting in a creamy and delightful texture.
- Once set, check the consistency of the oats. If they are too thick, stir in a bit more oat milk until you reach your desired consistency.
- Top your Nutella Overnight Oats with your favorite toppings. We suggest trying it with sliced bananas, or chopped hazelnuts!