Yes you are reading that right! I made a vegan, gluten free lasagna! And I am totally patting myself on the back. lol But to be honest it was actually very easy to make and came together pretty painlessly. We ended up making this on Easter Monday and although we originally had no plans to make anything special that day, it turned into a special meal we shared with a friend. I was nervous to try a new recipe out on a friend, especially a non vegan, can eat all the gluten he wants friend! But he had thirds, so I’ll take that as a win. That is why I am sharing it with all of you, so you can go impress yourself and maybe a friend too!
The day I made this was actually a unicorn of a day. They sun was shining, the kids were laughing and playing (all 3 of them!) and we were having just a relaxing, joyful day at home. Now don’t go thinking this is normal because it certainly is not at our place. With 3 little boys there is usually always someone crying or two of them fighting. But I think after all the Passover and Easter festivities they were just happy to have a home day!
But back to the recipe, I love making my own tomato sauce. The fresh tomatoes, onion and garlic just make the sauce so much richer to me. I can also mix up the spices and tailor it to what my family enjoys. And don’t skip the sugar. It isn’t a lot but it adds a necessary balances to the tartness of the tomatoes. You can just buy a store bought tomato sauce however, if you prefer. It would also make this meal a SUPER quick one to make.
The cheese sauce is the easiest sauce ever. All the ingredients go in a blender and then you just have to cook it for 5 minutes to allow the tapioca flour to thicken the sauce. This sauce comes together so fast. I did add some store bought cheese though, I LOVE Culcherd cheese and have been adding it pretty much to everything! You can say I am obsessed. If you can get your hand on some, add it in you will thank me later! If you can’t find it this sauce is still great on it’s own so no worried there.
Now for some tips! The trick to making this gluten free lasagna extra delicious is to make sure your tomato sauce is watery enough to allow the rice noodles to really cook. Now I did by ‘ready for the oven’ lasagna noodles (and I think they mostly come this way now). But you still want to make sure the sauce is a bit wetter then a normal tomato sauce (hence why I added the cup of water to this sauce, otherwise it is almost exactly like my normal tomato sauce). The second trick is to leave enough space between the noodles so they can cook. You want about a 1/2 inch more or less and make sure they don’t overlay. I had to cut my noodles so they would fit in the pan. And when you are layering the sauces make sure to add a generous amount for each layer. Remember the noodles need to cook in the sauce!
Ok, so with that I will get on to the recipe, which is why your here anyways right!
Oh and if you make this recipe I would love your thought in the comments! Or can find me on instagram and let me know @at.my.table!
Yes it's Vegan Lasagna, and Gluten Free Too!
Yes its a gluten free lasagna and it darn good!.
- 1 package of gluten free lasagna noodles, oven ready
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 tbs paprika
- 2 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tbs basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms, shiitake or brown are best
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced into small pieces
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- For The Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups almond milk (or milk of your choosing)
- 4 tbs nutritional yeaste
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbs tapioca flour
- ~ 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper
- (optional) add in some vegan cheese for extra flavour. I love the culcherd brand
- Optional crispy onion topping
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1 tsp corse salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder -1 tsp smoked paprika
- *TIPS: make sure you leave at least a 1/2 inch space between the lasagna noodles.
- In a large saucepan heat up the olive oil then saute the onions until they are soft. Then add in the garlic and all the spices and sugar for the tomato sauce and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Then add in the mushrooms and fresh tomatoes and cook for another few minutes. Finally add in the crushed tomatoes, water and lentils and let the sauce simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a blender add in all the ingredients for the cheese sauce. Blend until mixed.
- In a medium saucepan add the cheese sauce and cook on medium high heat for 5 minutes, until the cheese sauce starts to thicken. Make sure to keep mixing.
- Finally you are ready to assemble the lasagna. Start with a layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of your oven safe pan. Then add in a layer of noodles making sure they are not touching. Then layer on some tomato sauce, then cheese sauce, then another layer of noodles. Keep repeating until you get to the top of the pan. Press gentle on each noodle as you place them. The top layer should end with the cheese sauce.
- You can store the lasagna at this point in the fridge (up to 2 days) or bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
(optional topping) if you want to make the crispy onion topping then mix together all the ingredients for the onions in a small bowl. Then place onto a baking pan and bake at 400 for 10 minutes. You can broil it for the last 2 minutes to get it extra crispy. Enjoy!