Do you want to know how to cook tofu so everyone will love it! I guarantee this sticky orange sesame tofu recipe is killer good! a total crowd-pleaser. Made in just 30 minutes this recipe is kid-approved with an adult flavour.Jump to Recipe
A easy recipe with tofu
I recently rediscovered this recipe and fell in love with it all over again. I forgot how easy and flavorful it was. This sauce works great with tofu but you can also use it with other proteins like chickpeas or beans.
The recipe itself comes together really quickly and the orange sesame sauce can be made in one bowl. I also like to bake the tofu but you can certainly cook the tofu in a pan.
This orange sesame tofu recipe really is one of our families favorite recipe. Mostly because of how easy it is to make. The perfect recipe for busy school nights. And there is not heavy prepping. We just serve it with some plain rice and steamed broccoli. The flavors of this sticky sesame sauce is super satisfying and just oh so good.
How to cook tofu
Truthfully if you want to know how to cook with tofu there really is no secret. I fond people are so nervous to learn how to cook tofu because they are worried about making an underwhelming recipe.
The main thing to think about is that tofu itself has no real flavour. So if you want a flavourful tofu recipe then you have to add flavour to the tofu. Like with this easy orange sesame tofu sauce!
There are many ways to do this you could marinate the tofu overnight or for an hour, add spices and bake or just cook with a killer sauce. Whatever way you choose just make sure to taste and spice! I promise you will get a good recipe if you stick to this principal.
As for pressing and freezing, unless you are comfortable working with tofu just stick to firm tofu and don’t worry about the rest. I am working on a post about how to cook the different types of tofu, I’ll make sure to update here when that goes live.
How to make a sticky orange sesame tofu sauce
The orange sesame tofu sauce is the most important part of this recipe! Obviously right! It is a glossy, sticky, flavour bomb of a sauce. Sweet, garlicky and savoury all in one. Perfect to smoother any kind of protein with!
To make you will add all the ingredients to a bowl. Then reduce it over a hot stove. I told you this was a easy recipe with tofu!
The sticky aspects come from using honey, but if you are honey free then use maple syrup instead. The sauce won’t as sticky but it will still be delicious. And you will want to make sure to use fresh oranges as it adds just the right amount of tart to balance out the sweet honey. The addition of fresh ginger and garlic helps make this a bold, stand-alone sauce.
AtMtTable sesame tofu kid-approved rating
My older and younger sons LOVE this recipe but my middle guy has very sensitive taste buds. So for him, I will serve the tofu plain. You can’t win them all! Two out of three ain’t bad right?
Anyhoo thank you for reading and I hope you love this easy recipe with tofu. If you are looking for more easy vegan family recipes be sure to check out these:
- Smother your tofu in this herbie peanut sauce
- 15 minute vegan alfredo sauce
- The easiest eggplant meatball recipe
- Saucey sesame tofu
- 6 tofu recipes for quick and healthy dinners
If you make this recipe please like and comment, that would mean a lot to me! And tag me with your re-creations so I can share over on Instagram!
Until then, tchau
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- How do you make tofu taste good: tofu itself is very plain in flavor. to make a good tofu recipe you need to add flavor to your tofu. Make sure to season the tofu at every step in the cooking process. use a nice marinate or toss with oil, garlic, paprika and Italian seasoning before cooking.
- Is tofu healthy for you: Yes, despite the many misconceptions tofu is a healthy food to consume. It has been shown to be protective against cancer, and has many beneficial nutrients and vitamins, such as zinc and iron.
- How do you cook tofu in a pan: Cooking tofu in a pan is actually very easy. Add a bit of avocado or sesame oil to a pan. Once hot add in your cubed tofu. Let that cook over medium high heat for a few minutes. Once it is golden brown turn the tofu to continue cooking the other sides.
- How do you cook firm tofu: Tofu can come in a few different firmness. The easiest tofu to cook with is firm. To cook form tofu you do not have to press it. Simply slice or cube the tofu, toss with some oil, garlic powder, oregano and paprika and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- 1 block firm tofu cubed
- 1 tsp tapioca flour (or arrowroot)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
Orange sesame sauce
- ⅓ cup soy sauce gluten free (or coconut aminos)
- ⅓ cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- Prehead oven to 400 degrees. then take your firm tofu out of the package and wrap it in a towel for 5 minutes.
- Then cut the tofu into cubes and add to a large mixing bowl. Gently toss with the tapioca flour, salt and garlic powder and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a medium mixing bowl add in all the sauce ingredients. Mix tand pour onto a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. The sauce will start to ticken and reduce. Turn heat off so it does not overcook.
- When the tofu is finished baking add to the saucepan and gently mix to coat. Sprinkle the tosated sesame seeds on top and serve with rice and some steamed veggies.