That’s right, vegan lasagna, that also happens to be gluten-free! Much simpler then you expect and the perfect family comfort food. Make 2 of these vegan lasagnas and freeze one for a busy night. You can thank me later!Jump to Recipe
Totally patting myself on the back for this recipe. Mostly, because I was also so afride to tackle a vegan lasagna with gluten-free noddles. So much easier than expected this recipe came together pretty painlessly.
This recipe ended up being our Easter Sunday meal so we got to share it with a friend. Actually, a non-vegan, gluten lover friend, so you can say I was pretty nervous. After his third helping, I decided to take this as a winning recipe! That is why I am sharing it with all of you, so you can go impress yourself and maybe a friend too!
Easter Sunday ended up being one of those rare unicorn days in the mom world. The day The sun was shining, the kids were laughing and we were having just a relaxing, joyful day at home. Now don’t go thinking this is normal because it certainly is not at our place. With 3 little boys there is usually always someone crying or two of them fighting. But I think after all the Passover and Easter festivities they were just happy to have a home day!
This recipe is best with a homemade tomato sauce. Now don’t go rolling your eyes because you can make a killer homemade sauce in 30 minutes (yes you can!) The fresh tomatoes, onion and garlic just make the sauce so much richer. Mix up the spices and tailor it to what my family enjoys. If you are totally pressed for time, use a store-bought version for a super QUICK meal.
SOME TIPS: To make this gluten-free lasagna extra delicious make sure your tomato sauce is a tad watery. This will allow the rice noodles to cook up well. Look for the ‘oven ready’ lasagna noodles so you won’t have to pre-soak (and I think they mostly come this way now).
Now the cheese sauce is the easiest sauce ever. All the ingredients go in a blender and then it cooks for 5 minutes to allow the tapioca flour to thicken the sauce. Feel free to add some of your favourite vegan cheese (I love adding Culcherd cheese) for an extra creamy sauce. The sauce is still very delcious on it’s own so don’t fret if you don’t have any on hand.
Leave enough space between the noodles so they can cook properly. You want about a 1/2 inch between them so they don’t overlap. Finally, when assembling the layers, make sure to add a generous amount of sauce to each layer. Remember the noodles need to cook in the sauce!
Thanks for reading. And I hope you enjoy this easy recipe for vegan lasagna! If you are interested in more family recipes make sure to check out these
Alright now on to the recipe 😉 If you make this recipe be sure to tag me (@at.my.table) with your re-creations so I can share it over on Instagram!
Until next time, tchau
Yes, it’s vegan Lasagna, and gluten-free too!Course: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: vegetarian, vegan, gluten freeDifficulty: Easy
That’s right, vegan lasagna, that also happens to be gluten-free! Much simpler then you expect and the perfect family comfort food. Make 2 of these vegan lasagnas and freeze one for a busy night. You can thank me later!
1 package of gluten free lasagna noodles, oven ready
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 medium tomatoes, diced into small pieces
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups cooked (or canned) lentils
2 tbs Italian seasoning, 1 tsp paprika, 2 tbs coconut sugar, 1 tsp basil, 1/4 tsp salt
- Vegan Cheese Sauce
2 cups almond milk (or milk of your choosing)
2 garlic cloves
4 tbs nutritional yeast
2 tbs tapioca flour
1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper
(optional) add in some vegan cheese for extra flavour. I love the culcherd brand
- (Optional) crispy onion topping
1 onion, finely sliced
1/4 cup corn meal
1 tsp corse salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
- In a large saucepan heat up the olive oil then saute the onions until they are soft. Then add in the garlic and all the spices and sugar for the tomato sauce and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Then add in the fresh tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, water and lentils and let the sauce simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a blender add in all the ingredients for the cheese sauce. Blend until mixed.
- In a medium saucepan add the cheese sauce and cook on medium high heat for 5 minutes, until the cheese sauce starts to thicken. Make sure to keep mixing.
- Finally you are ready to assemble the lasagna. Start with a layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of your oven safe pan. Then add in a layer of noodles making sure they are not touching. Then layer on some tomato sauce, then cheese sauce, then another layer of noodles. Keep repeating until you get to the top of the pan. Press gentle on each noodle as you place them. The top layer should end with the cheese sauce.
- Before baking, you can store the lasagna in the fridge (up to 2 days). Otherwise, bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
(optional topping) if you want to make the crispy onion topping then mix together all the ingredients for the onions in a small bowl. Then place onto a baking pan and bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
- this lasagna can be frozen for up to 3 months. Freeze before you bake it for best results.
- *TIPS: make sure you leave at least a 1/2 inch space between the lasagna noodles.