Need a vegan recipe with cabbage? How about this easy cabbage and tomato soup Recipe. Made in just 1 pot with 10 ingredients for a warming nourishing dish. An easy soup recipe vegetarian style!Jump to Recipe
The best cabbage soup recipe
Do you know why I love soup? Besides being so comforting on winter nights I actually find them super easy to make. This 1-pot easy soup recipe is a delicious full-flavored soup that is one of my son’s absolute favorites.
Actually my son is the reason this soup even came to existence in our house. Before that, I was not in the habit of making soup! But after eating tomato soup from an Indian restaurant my son started asking for tomato soup all the time.
The soup we eat at the restaurant was full of cream and sugar (like many of the store-bought versions I found) so I set off to make my own. At first, I just made tomato soup, with lots of garlic and onion to help deepen the flavor. Then one day we decided to grow cabbage in our garden. We had SO much cabbage that I was adding it to everything. And I just so happen to add it to a tomato soup I was making him.
He practically ate the entire pot. So this has become another one of our winter family recipes!
How to get a rich flavourful soup with minimal ingredients
I love making vegan recipes with cabbage. I find cabbage to be so so flavorful. If you use cabbage in a soup recipe you are already adding so much flavor. But there are lots of ways to add flavor to soup when using minimal ingredients. The key is to build flavour using the ingredients you are using. Here are some ways to do that.
- Veggie broth: In order to get a nice flavour out of your soup, I suggest either making your own veggie broth (you can check out this post for a super easy and free way to make yours at home). Otherwise, pick up a good quality broth that has a nice clean flavour.
- Spice it up: You also want to make sure to add in some onion, celery and enough spices. Remember you are adding a lot of liquid so the spices (like salt) will be muted. Cabbage itself adds a TON of flavour to soup and the tomato will help add a bit of sweetness once it cooks enough.
- Let this soup cook. Make a large pot on a Sunday or evening that you are not in a rush and let it simmer for a while. this will help create a deep rich flavour.
- Save some veggie: This trick my husband taught me. He hates soggy or overcooked veggies. So I always save some cabbage and a bit of celery to add into the soup a few minutes before it is done. this adds a bit of crispness back in and preserves some of the vitamines in the cabbage.
I hope you enjoyed this easy soup recipe vegetarian style! If you are looking for more recipes with cabbage or nourishing vegan recipes be sure to check out these:
If you make this recipe please like and comment, that would mean a lot to me! And tag me with your re-creations so I can share over on Instagram!
Until then, tchau
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 celery stalks diced
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Roma tomato diced
- 2 cups strained tomato jarred
- 6 cups veggie stock
- In a large pot over medium heat sautee the onions in the olive oil. Once soft add in the garlic, celery, and spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next add in the fresh and starined tomatoes, veggie broth, and half the cabbage. Cook for about 30 minutes on medium low heat.
- Add in the remaining cabbage and cook for another 10 minutes.