Healthy chocolate covered strawberries recipe! Who says chocolate can’t be part of a healthy snack recipe! I mean you have fruit and cocoa which comes from fruit so you basically have fruit! NO? A fun twist on the classic. Read on as I show you how easy it is to make these chocolate covered strawberry kebabs!
I am NOT a baker by any means so if I can make these so can you!!Jump to Recipe
Life is about balance and there is nothing wrong with smothering your strawberries in some vegan dark chocolate now and again. With Valentine’s day approaching, I decided that this year I would make my kiddos (and hubby of course) a nice treat!
These chocolate strawberry kebabs are just one of the many healthy recipes with chocolate you can make! They are satisfying, and just so much fun to eat!
MOM TIP: Because these are chocolate-covered strawberries on a stick you will skip the messy hands with this easy vegan treat idea! Your shirt can thank me later!
Sick of yet another chocolate covered strawberry recipe? Try these instead!
Not only are these chocolate strawberry kebabs super easy to make, but they would also make a super fun party idea. A healthy chocolate snack you can serve at your next weekend bash or a fun birthday party idea for the kids!
Oh and yes they are mess-free! I will mention that again because with 3 boys at home this is a HUGE one for me! These healthy chocolate kebabs come with their own handles to prevent the usual chocolate sticky hands! You are welcome!
To make these fun strawberry kebabs:
1. Wash and dry your strawberries. I usually place them on a tea towel and wait for them to air dry or if you are impatient then go ahead and pat them dry.
PRO TIP: make sure the strawberries are dry AND at room temp to prevent the chocolate from cooling to fast!
2. Then go ahead and remove the leaves and put the strawberries on a stick, lol I mean skewer. I like to add 3 or 4 per skewer depending on the size of the strawberries.
3. Melt your chocolate chips, and milk and spices over a double boiler. Keep string to get it nice and creamy.
EASY HACK: For a foolproof easy option you can melt your chocolate in the microwave. To do this just warm up the plant milk for 1 minute in the microwave on low. You want the milk to almost be boiling. Then place your vegan chocolate chips, cocoa powder and spices in the milk and let it rest for 1 minute. This will melt the chips. Then mix and watch as it turns to a creamy delicious drool-worthy, amazing chocolate sauce! YUM!
Try not to eat it!
4. Still with me or are you off eating the chocolate! Ok, then place one strawberry kebabs over the chocolate sauce bowl. Use a spoon to pour the sauce over the strawberries. Turn the kebabs as you pour and tap to get any excess chocolate off.
You can also go ahead and make the classic chocolate covered strawberries recipe if you like. I had leftover choclate so I made a few to not waste.
5. Then place onto a lined baking pan and place it into the fridge. You will want them to cool for about an hour. Then you can decorate them as you like. I usually sprinkle cocoa powder over top to make them pretty! Sprinkles also works well! Just be creative here and have fun!
For the chocolate drizzle placed the leftover chocolate sauce into a squeeze bottle (an old ketchup bottle I am re-purposing). You may have to add a tablespoon or two of milk and microwave it for about 15 seconds. Then just drizzle onto the kebabs!
A super easy and fun chocolate dessert idea! I promise you this chocolate covered strawberry recipe is super easy and fun! Your kiddos will love these! Don’t forget to let them help you decorate!
My chocolate seized: Did the chocolate sauce become gritty or clumpy? If the chocolate comes into contact with water it may seize, becoming gritty. So make sure you use a dry bowl to melt. To fix this issue you actually need to add small amounts of boiling water or another liquid and stir vigorously (weird right!). I actually usually add in more plant milk at this point.
My chocolate overheated: Did the chocolate sauce become dry or thick? It may have overheated in this case. You can try and fix this by removing the chocolate from the heat and adding in more chocolate chips. Then stir to melt. However, the best way to prevent this issue is to use lower heat (below 120 degrees) to melt the chocolate. So microwave on low or make sure the water in your double boiler is not boiling.
Using a double broiler: Make sure to keep the water hot but NOT boiling to prevent splashing or steam getting into the chocolate. Additionally, do not use a wooden spoon or cutting board as they may hold on to moisture. And never cover melting chocolate!
The chocolate sauce keeps hardening: If you take a bit of time coating your strawberries in the chocolate sauce then the sauce may cool and harden. If this happens just microwave the chocolate sauce on low again for 20 seconds at a time. Stop to stir and continue warming it up until the sauce has fully melted again.
Have another trick or question? Please leave a comment below and I will update this section!!
Thanks for reading! I hope you love this chocolate covered strawberries recipe! If you are looking for more healthy recipes with chocolate, or just fun recipes, in general, be sure to check out these:
- 15 minute no bake energy bites
- The best spiced hot chocolate
- 4 ingredient cinnamon spice star cookies
- Kid-approved crispy tofu fingers
If you make this recipe be sure to tag me over on Instagram (@at.my.table) I would love to see what your making.
Until next time, tchau ( that’s bye in Portuguese, lol)
- 1 pint strawberries, washed and dried
- 8 wooden kebab sticks
- ½ cup oat milk
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips vegan
- 2 tbsp cocao powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Make sure your strawberries are dry and at room temperature. Remove the leaves from each one then place 3-4 strawberries onto each kebab stick.
- In a microwave-safe bowl add your plant milk and microwave on low for 45 seconds-1 minute. You want the milk to be almost boiling. Then add in the chocolate chips, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Let it rest for about 1 minute.
- Stir the chocolate mixture. It should now be a smooth chocolate sauce. If the chips did not melt all the way then microwave again for 20 seconds at a time, stopping to stir until all the chocolate is melted.
- Take each strawberry kebab and place it over your chocolate sauce bowl. Using a spoon ladled some chocolate over the strawberries. Rotate the stick to get the strawberries to be fully coated. Tap the end of the stick onto the bowl to get any excess chocolate off. This will help them look smooth.
- Place each chocolate strawberry kebab onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper and place them into the fridge for at least an hour! You can then sprinkle some cocoa powder over them or if you like to use any remaining chocolate sauce to drizzle onto the kebab for some extra texture.