There is not much to say about this recipe except yum! I actually never would have made this recipe but this week I was challenged to use leeks and onions in a dish. I initially made a potato, leek and onion soup (which you can find here) acctually. But this sautee is amazing on it’s own or over some steamed rice or used as a topping for my creamy potato leek soup!
Anyhoo, not much else to say so lets get to why your here, on to the recipe…
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you make this recipe (@at.my.table)! I love to see your creations.
Tofu, leek and onion saute
A delicious and super quick protein rich dish perfect on rice, potatoes or as a creamy soup topping.
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 1 white onions, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 leek, diced and cleaned
- juice from 1 lemons
- 4 tbs coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 3 tbs cup of veggie broth
- ~ 1 cup of cassava or chickpea flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to tast
- If possible prep your tofu the morning of or night before you want to make this meal. Gently press out any extra moisture from your tofu using your hands or by wrapping the tofu in a tea towel.
- Mix together the coconut aminos (or soy sauce), sesame oil, maple syrup, veggie broth and lemon in a small mixing bowl. Pour half the sauce over the tofu and let it marinate. If you have time let it sit for at least 2 hours but if you are time pressed let it sit for as long as you can (20 minutes would do).
- Drain the tofu (you can save the sauce to add back in later). Then toss your tofu with your flour of choice. Make sure you don’t add to much flour, adding a bit at a time. Stop when the tofu is lightly covered.
- On a medium non stick pan (or well seasoned cast iron) dry fry your tofu by adding it to the hot pan and letting it brown on each side. If the tofu is starting to stick then add in a bit of oil.
- Next add in the leeks and onions and all the spices and cook for a another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the sauce and continue to cook until the leeks have softened up. Remove from heat and serve over rice, noodles, potatoes or a creamy soup.
Don’t forget to enjoy!