What could be better than this easy recipe for leeks? A colourful, fresh recipe with sliced leeks, cubed tofu and onions. Jam-packed with flavour, this simple vegetarian leek recipe is a really favourite. Made with gluten-free flour for a quick weeknight dinner or winning side dish for family get together.
Jump to Recipe
Easy recipe for leeks
There is not much to say about this recipe except yum! I actually never would have made this recipe but this week I was challenged to use leeks and onions in a dish. I initially made a potato, leek and onion soup which was very delicious but this recipe is WAY simpler.
A quick and easy dinner recipe
This is the pefert recipe to make in the srping when leeks are abundant. I alwasy find it difficult to know what to make with leeks, aside from potato leek soup. But the leeks are very much like onions with a milder taste so it works so nicely in a saute or stir fry.
This recipe does require some chopping and a bit of prep to get the veggies cut and the tofu marinated but it should not take you more than 20 minutes. Use a mandoline or food processor to make it extra speedy. If you are looking for a simple vegetarian recipe this is the one for you.
Get your veggies in! The benefits of Alliums.
This tofu and leek saute recipe is a great way to get your veggies in. Especially if you are looking to increase the amount of alliums you eat. But what are alliums and why should you eat them?
Alliums are a group of vegetables known commonly as onions, garlic, shallots, chives and leeks. This group of veggies are highlighted for their cancer-fighting and anti-inflammatory properties. The cell walls of alliums contain an enzyme called alliinase. This enzyme is what causes the sulfuric acid smell that occurs when alliums are crushed or cut. And why you may cry during dinner prep 😉 . But this reaction importantly also occurs within your body.
The sulfide compounds that form within your body after eating alliums go on to support the detox of carcinogens. These compounds are also suggested to have angiogenesis inhibiting effects on the growth of cancer cells by preventing tumour growth. Along with its cancer-fighting properties, these organosulfur compounds also have an anti-inflammatory effect and help ward off infections. In conjunction with the glycoproteins, also found in alliums, these compounds help improve immune function and disease prevention(1). Cool right. Just one more reason to eat a diet rich in alliums. The more I look up the benefits of eating plants the more I realize how magical and powerful whole foods are to our health.
Anyhoo thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy this tofu and leek saute as much as we do. If you are looking for more easy simple family recipes be sure to check out these:
- 13 vegan pantry recipes with 10 ingredients or less
- The easiest eggplant meatball recipe
- Vegan pao de queijo, or Brazilian cheese bread
- Quick and saucey sesame tofu recipe
- 1 extra firm tofu
- 1 white onion sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 leek diced and cleaned
- 1 lemon juiced
- 4 tbs coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 3 tbs vegetable broth
- 1 cup cassava flour (you can also use chickpea flour)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to tast
- Gently press out any extra moisture from your tofu using your hands or by wrapping the tofu in a tea towel. Let it sit for 5-15 minutes while you prep your veggies.
- In a small bowl, mix together the coconut aminos (or soy sauce), sesame oil, maple syrup, veggie broth and lemon. Pour the sauce over the tofu and mix. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes.**If you have the time let it sit for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Drain the tofu but reserve the sauce for later. Then toss your tofu with the flour and remove any access flour.
- On a medium non stick pan (or well seasoned cast iron) dry fry your tofu by adding it to the hot pan and letting it brown on each side. If the tofu is starting to stick then add in a bit of oil.
- Next add in the leeks and onions and all the spices and cook for a another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sauce and continue to cook until the leeks have softened up. Remove from heat and serve over rice, noodles, potatoes or a creamy soup.
- Don’t forget to enjoy!
Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?
There’s a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content.
Please let me know. Thanks