Who says salads had to be light and underwhelming! This hearty roasted vegetable salad recipe is a super delicious and satisfying meal. A wild rice salad recipe made with simple whole food ingredients and dressed with a delicious easy salad dressing. An easy recipe for rice salad perfect for lunch, dinner or as a pot luck recipe.Jump to Recipe
Hearty roasted vegetable rice salad recipe
Nothing says stress-free like a fridge stocked with food for the week, am I right! Especially when you have a large tupperware full of this roasted vegetable rice salad recipe all ready to go!
As a mom of 3 boys and a food blogger, I am CONSTANTLY in the kitchen cooking up something. But, most days by dinner time the thought of cooking literally takes my breath away! That’s why I love meals such as this recipe for rice salad. It is so easy to prepare and batch make so you can have easy lunches all week long.
So although I don’t normally meal prep. When I do decide to make this salad I love how long it lasts in the fridge. and because this rice salad is so hearty, it is the perfect grab and go meal.
How I navigate NOT meal prepping!
Are you a meal planner? If you are please leave me a comment or some inspiring words of wisdom because I would very much like to meal plan..eventually! However, I will say that I think I do unintentionally meal plan on a very micro-scale.
You see every time I make dinner or a salad, I always make a lot of it. With salads, I make enough to last us a few days, along with the dressing. And this is nop exception with this recipe for roasted vegetable rice salad.
When you are not a natural meal prepper I find that focusing on making uncomplicated dinners the key to success. Eating healthy or being plant-based does not have to be complicated. A good friend on Instagram posted about this a few days ago. Eating plant-based is actually WAY easier then I thought it would be. And simple meals can absolutely be flavourful and satisfying!
So I guess I am not entirely a none-prepper. Just not one in the traditional sense.
How to make this wild rice salad recipe
So jus how easy is this wild rice salad recipe anyways?
Well, most of the veggies in this recipe are roasted. Which means that the prep for this salad is pretty minimal. Yes, you have to chop a few veggies but no one said this meal made itself!
To a baking pan just add some broccoli, cubed sweet potato, and frozen corn. Go ahead and toss it all with a little olive oil and salt first. The best way to get a delicious meal is to flavor at every step!
I also bought sliced almonds but you can just chop your own. Make sure to bake those along with the veggies to get those rich nutty flavors to come thru.
The rice can also be made in a rice cooker or instant pot making this very hands free meal. Then simply mix the dressing, and toss everything into a big bowl and stir. Place in the fridge to let those flavors marry together for an hour and voila!
I made enough to last us a few days but honestly, I think we will gobble it all up before that!
AtMyTable kid-approved score
As for how kid-friendly this meal is. Well, 2/3 kids liked this recipe. If you haven’t guessed yet my picky eater did NOT enjoy this meal at all. I think it was the kale and sweet potatoes that threw him off. yes, he HATES sweet potato because he is a weirdo. Just kidding, but seriously how can anyone hate sweet potato! But still, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad right!
OK now on to the recipe. I hope you enjoyed this roasted vegetable rice salad recipe. And if you made it please share and tag me in your recreations over on Instagram!. I love seeing what you guys come up with. If you want more easy family-friendly vegan recipe be sure to check these out:
- Shaved brussel sprout salad with spiced cranberries, squash, and walnuts
- Classic family Lentil Stew
- 5-minute creamy vegan caesar salad
- Oil-free Cashew Pesto Gnocchi or this nut-free version
- Easy comforting cabbage soup
Until then, tchau
- 2 cups red rice cooked
- 1 sweet potato cubed
- 2 broccoli de-steamed and separated
- 1 ½ cup frozen corn
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 cup almond sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ⅙ tsp cayenne pepper (omit if kids are sensitive to spicy)
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. then add all your chopped veggie to a large bowl (except the kale). Toss with the olive oil and salt. Then place onto a baking pan and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile cook the rice as per package directions. I cooked mine in an instant pot with 1 1/2 cups of water for 25 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl add all the ingredients for the dressing and mix together.
- Once the veggies and rice are finished cooking, add the rice to a large bowl and pour in the salad dressing. Toss to coat the rice then add in the roasted veggies, kale, and almonds and mix to combine. Place in the fridge for about an hour to allow the salad to cool and the flavours to combine.
LIKE IT, SAVE IT